Monday, July 20, 2009

A Day in the Life... thus far


We're 2 weeks into 3rd year and it's been a great experience so far. Surprisingly, obstetrics and gynecology is going well. I've been able to help deliver a few babies and have been in one a lot of c-sections (including being the 1st assistant on a tubal ligation).

The hours are long, but I'm surprisingly okay with that as well. So, what does a typical day look like?

3:45 am - alarm starts going off
4:15 am - actually manage to get out of bed and start getting ready
5:00 am - check the traffic/news and eat breakfast
5:20 am - head to work
5:35 am - arrive at work
5:45 am - check in with postpartum patients
7:00 am - attending rounds
7:30 am - morning board turn-over in L&D ("labor and delivery")
8:30 am - check in with all the pregnant ladies/triage
this lasts all day... along with the delivering of babies and c-sections
lunch may or may not happen, which means carrying snack foods in my back pack are essential
7:00 pm - night board turn over
7:30 pm - leave for home
7:45 pm - arrive at home
8:00 pm - eat dinner/relax
9:30 pm - crash into my bed

Starting this week I'm on nights... which means I'm at the hospital from 6:45 pm to 8:30 am. There's a few days with lectures/meetings before or after call, which means this is going to be a rough week.

And also starting this week I have to somehow manage to find time to study. Hmm.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Good luck, babe!

davidkmercier said...

Where do you find time to blog?

Nimish Parekh Photography said...

Oh dear...welcome to third year!! It somehow just happens and you make it and learn a ton in the process, but it's a mystery that anyone makes it through with their sanity...

Unknown said...

1st assistant eh? Is that like being assistant to the regional manager?

John said...

Nice, I've only been 2nd assistant thusfar in gyn, but I get to start OB soon! Whoohoo!