Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A-MAZING

**WARNING: Religious post, if you don't want it... just leave it.**


Last year I had a student, who we will call T. T was one of the national students: read Buddhist student at a Christian school. But T was not like most of the national students, and I witnessed this first hand through one of the weekly assignments I had my students do.

The assignment was a nature journal. Now before you go accusing me of being a tree hugger, the assignment was set based on the concept of "general revelation". General revelation is how God shows his love through nature and creation, as apposed to special revelation as seen through the Bible and Jesus. The reason I set the assignment was because nature is one of the ways that I center and reconnect with God. However, I know that as a student I had many a hard time finding time to just sit in nature and observe. The assignment was to spend 30 minutes observing nature, or some aspect of nature.

But back to T and how he intersected with the assignment. From the first week T started the assignment he started experiencing God... I don't know how else to explain it. Every week T kept doing excellent work on observing nature, but also adding reflections that pulled it all back to God. To be honest, at times I felt his faith was stronger than mine. And this is when he was still searching, and I was the Christian.

Over the year I had many conversations will another teacher about T, the other teacher being his religious education teacher. He told me how T had a voracious appetite for the word: On top of being one of the all-star students, he was using all his free time (which would have been minimal based on the quality of his homework) to read the Bible.

Since I've returned home I've had some updates on T, one including the information that his mom, spurred on my T's hunger for the word, had started reading the Bible herself.

But the most amazing email came a few weeks ago when I found out that T had accepted Christ as his Savior. Yesterday I got an email saying the T was elected student body President for the upcoming school year.

No comments: