Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Year is Coming to an End... Sort of

It's true... It's the end of the year for many people. My freshman from Thailand are posting about there only being 12 more days in their senior year; I helped out with the Ace the OSCE last week, which is that last test of 1st year; 2nd years are finishing up and starting to freak out about boards; and all my 4th year friends are on vacation courtesy of residency relocation loans; Today is the Detroit Medical Orchestra concert (I play the violin). Even some of my friends at other medical schools are starting to finish up their 3rd year experience.

Then there's me, and the rest of my class. We start our last 2 month block of 3rd year tomorrow. And while that does mean that the end of the year is near, I still have the behemoth that is Internal Medicine. This is both good and bad... it's good in more senses than not; I've already learned a handful of it through my other rotation; it's put me in good position for my second board exams (Step 2 CK). But it's bad in the sense that this is the rotation that counts (outside of surgery).... so NO slacking off for me. Instead of enjoying the wonderful end of the year and the wonderful spring weather, I will be stuck in my office studying after work, trying to remember everything I learned during the past 2 years. (The only bright side is Kansas on the 14th of May...)

Enough of the negativity though... today is a happy day. I'm going to church, I get to see my parents, and there's an amazing drizzle coming down from the sky. And I rearranged my rooms yesterday, giving me a sense of starting anew.

So here's to starting something new...

No comments: