Friday, December 12, 2008

Enter Controversy

Mike Huckabee and Jon Stewart on Gay Marriage.



So, I know I'm going to offend some people with this... but Jon Stewart totally won. He has some great points:
  • If we went exactly by the Old Testament, polygamy would be okay; however, we realize that this is not right. Marriage has evolved.
  • Religion is a more of a lifestyle choice than what gender you prefer, and religion is more protected by laws.
  • It's a travesty that we've forced those who are gay to prove their points.
  • While the "point of marriage" may be to train the next generation, loving gay families may be better than some of the dysfunctional heterosexual families - sexuality vs. attributes.

I'm going to throw this out there. I'm a Christian, and while the Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin, so is lying (and when it comes down to it they both end up with the same consequences without forgiveness). But that doesn't mean that I am against gay marriage. I have grown up around gay people all my life (one of the benefits of having a theatre director for a mother)... and they are amazing, loving individuals.

That being said, I think Jon Stewart is right when saying that a gay family does not mean less love or worse parenting. If anything, I think it might lead to better circumstances for some. Why?

Any heterosexual couple (married or not) can make little babies. They may not be ready for children and might not even be bringing children into good situations/ healthy emotional circumstances (read: no test required.... although that's something else all together that should be discussed). However, in order for a homosexual couple to raise children it usually involves adoption. And no sane adoption agency is going to place a child in an unhealthy or bad situation (read: test required).

I'm not saying that they're aren't healthy heterosexual relationship or unhealthy homosexual ones, I'm just saying that a gay family does not mean a worse outcome in the least.

But back to the main point of the gay rights movement. If any one of my friends found someone that they truly loved and wanted to make a commitment to for the rest of their lives, I commend that! Who are we to decide who someone can and cannot love. I know that love does not equal marriage, but please people. Let's rethink this and put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes.

Remember the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.


P.S. As I've told many people before, while I believe that Christianity is truth and try and live a life that shows such (and talk to those who are interested), I do not believe that it is in our right to determine what is law for society. Christians are not the only ones with a "strong sense of ethics", as put by some, and it is not wrong for different peoples ethics to be different than ours. Tension is the essence of everything, which I believe is due to the fall of man. This means that no one will ever have it right, as there is a disconnect from God due to sin.

P.P.S. Please feel free to comment, I will try and be nice to dissenting opinions (rather than replying with nasty comments). However, I might still respond.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help but focus on the arrogance of people that try to justify that marriage is between "one man and one woman". I also wonder why the people who are so determined to preserve the definition of marriage aren't out on the streets protesting divorce, after all, isn't it "'till death do us part"???

If you want to see just how S-M-R-T Mike Huckabee is, check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K45UtvpGV_M

MedZag said...

Grew up in an Irish Catholic family. Been through too many years of private school and two Jesuit institutions to boot. And after it all, my opinion pretty much mirrors yours.

Am I the only one who gets embarrassed when clergymen start to preach on the 'evils' of homosexuality? I would hope any individual who had gone through seminary and masters in theology would have a little perspective.