"These are not monuments, but footprints. A monument only says, 'At least I made it this far,' while a footprint says, 'This is where I was when I moved again.'" -William Faulkner
Saturday, March 5, 2011
What happened to my radiovacay?!
It is a well known fact by 4th year students (and attendings) that after about December, when interviews start rolling in, that your mind will not want to actually do work for the rest of the year. This "senioritis" is so entrenched in medical knowledge that most residents and attendings don't really care if you're there*.
Thus, most 4th year students make their schedules as much of a cake walk as possible for the second half of their final year (getting all the hard, required stuff out in the first few months). One of the known easy rotations is radiology, also known as radioholiday and radiovacay.
Why? Because radiology consists of individuals sitting in front of computers scanning images... it's pretty much a one-person job, which leaves the medical student asking a few questions, but mostly just sitting and watching. And usually, the residents or attending will send you home before or right after lunch, or tell you to just not bother showing up for a few days a week.
So how is it possible that most of these facts have seem to have been missed by my radiology elective?! Not only do I have to show up every day (which I don't mind)... I have required noon conference and required med student lectures at 4 pm... including every Friday. And then there's the fact that the guy in charge of medical education decided to put the required ethics breakfast at 7 am the day after Match (a day most medical students are nursing rather large hangovers... especially this year as the Match is on St. Patty's Day.)
What the hell?!?! Don't these people know what the Match is and the importance of the day?! They should know that at this point in the year, we really are only thinking about the Match and getting our lives ready for July 1 (including finding a new place to live and moving).
Yes, I want to learn some radiology... but come on... give me a break here. Everyone else on the elective is working 2 hours a day and have already been told they don't have to show up after the 16th.
I'm so annoyed.
*that is unless they are part of medical education and then they just complain about how 4th year is such a waste of an educational year and come up with ways to change the system
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment