
Just finished the book today, after trying to get through the middle for awhile. To be honest, when I first picked up the book I was expecting to be appalled by the conditions of internship. But it was not until I got to the middle of the book, which seemed to drag a lot, when some of those expectations came true. The beginning moved quickly and I did not have a lot of sympathy to give "Dr. Basch".
Besides the plot moving extremely slow in the middle I did not like the style of the author much. Some sentences just did not read well, and at times I was just waiting for him to make his point. And also, the focus on the erotic fantasies got old.
However, it does still stand as the one book that all those going into medicine must read. I have been told that one should read it three times: once either before or during medical school, once during internship, and once when you are on the other side of it all. That being said, I will try and read it again... in a few years. Maybe then I will be able to appreciate it more.
Grade: B
Next up: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Lisa See.
1 comment:
Hello,
"Spirit of the Place" is definitely a great read.
It's considered Mr. Shem's most ambitious work.
Anyone interested should visit www.samuelshem.com for more information
Post a Comment