Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July 1st

July 1st is a very important date in the medical world: It is the beginning of the new year. It is on this date that 2nd year residents become 3rd year residents and 1st year interns become 2nd year residents. But more significant is that newly minted MDs, who were (graduated) 4th year medical students yesterday become doctors today-- no longer can they hid behind the excuse of "Oh, I'm just a medical student, let me ask my resident"... now they get to use "Oh, I'm just an intern, let me ask my attending."

Consequently it is the day that the 3rd year students officially start 4th year, the 2nd year students become 3rd year medical students, and the date that officially makes us M1s officially M2s (kinda...)*.

That being said, I cannot imagine the stress and anxiety so many interns are feeling tonight, because tomorrow there is no hiding**. So, this post goes out to those new interns (and new attendings and M3s). Best of luck this year.

Oh, and to the rest of you - do not get sick in July, ever. At least that's what I hear from everyone else in the field.

*I say kinda for 2 reasons: 1) in my book, I'm not really a 2nd year until school begins (although, it's getting easier to just say that I'm a M2 than "I just finished 1st year), and 2) according to the promotions committee, we've officially been M2s since May 30th
**I'm not really looking forward to that first step myself, and it's 3 years away - on that note: how crazy is it that I'll be an MD in 3 years - this came up in a lunch conversation. Everyone once and awhile I find myself having this "re-epiphany" and starting to freak out a little.

No comments: