Monday, August 25, 2008

Good Morning World

Good Morning! And welcome to a new week. Just wanting to add a little update so people (i.e. my mom, grandma, etc) know what's going on with me.

Test grades came back. I did ok, not exactly what I was expecting... but apparently that's the hardest test of the Immuno/Micro course. And as usual my class seems to be setting new records. Our dean of basic science, who is also one of the micro profs, was overheard saying that no other class has ever performed that well on the Immuno exam. Yay us! But, it makes me want to tell my class to chill out a bit and try testing their social skills. Third year will be interesting when all this people who only know how to study are thrown into the hospital.

Anyways, we started basic microbiology this past week (systems based micro starts today). And can I just say that it was one of the most overwhelming weeks in med school yet. It wouldn't have been so bad except for the whole pharmacology beast they threw at us. You see, they want us to learn what drugs treat what bugs. This in itself would not be bad, but they haven't even taught us the bugs yet.

I told my mom it would be like dropping me in the middle of France and then having some French person try and teach me German. Not only do I not understand where I am, I don't understand enough French (besides a few words here and there) and certainly do not understand ANY of the German. (For those of you who are lost: France = Microbiology, French = the bugs, German = pharmacology).



It has been quite the overwhelming week and weekend trying to remember a bunch of drugs that all sound the same, treat basically the same things, but somehow are different. Needless to say, I've spent most of the weekend trying to learn the pharm and not really looking at any of the other material and not feeling like I accomplished anything. However, the other stuff isn't too hard (at least that's what it seems, I hope that's the case for the test).

In other happier news, one of my favorite people from undergrad is in my area for a few months this year. She's a 3rd year DO student and is doing multiple rotations in the area. She just got to town yesterday, so we met up and went out to dinner. Can I just say that it made my weekend! I'm so excited!! She's kind of far away right now (35+ minutes), but later in the year she'll be like 5 minutes away!!!! YAY!

Well... I should probably go... you know class and all that. But I hope you have a wonderful week!

P.S. My goal for the week is to work out, something I've not been doing and really need to do. We're starting today.

No comments: