Friday, October 24, 2008

"Kate"

For those of you who don't know, my name is Kate... not Kathleen or one of the Kathrine variations. Just Kate.

During middle school we had to do some assignment having to do with our names, and I remember asking my mom, "Why just Kate?"

She replied, "I wanted you to have a strong name. And Kate Hepburn always reminded me of strength." (or something along those lines). At which point I pointed out she was a Katharine.

But new evidence shows there's more to it than just that. Thanks to Angela, I was able to track my name. If you look carefully, during the year I was born, most of the "just-Kates" were being born in New England. Not so many in the Midwest. Clearly, mom was trying to reach back to her childhood roots.



2 comments:

Heidi Renée said...

My sister's name is just Katie (and we often call her Kate... opposite of you!)--not Kathleen, etc. When we were little, I used to get so angry when people messed it up. It's not a difficult name, but people want to make it SO complicated! As you know... :)

Angela said...

Thanks for the shout-out, but my blog address is actually http://www.angelaboration.com