Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What I Learned Today

I have learned many things over the past few weeks, but today I learned 2 very practical things (both along the same line of thought).

1. I should never be a radiologist.
2. I should probably not be a surgeon either (dangit!)

















Why, you might ask? Well, here's the reasoning behind the lessons. Today we had a radiology session over at the hospital. During said session we were told to identify the different areas on MRIs of the upper limb. Well.... let's just say that I would never in my life be able to identify a lot of what was being shown. I am resorting to memorizing the images I know will be on the test with their labels. Hmmm


















And why should I never be a surgeon?** I should clarify this... I should never be a specialized surgeon.... aka hand surgeon. Why? Let's just say that I'm very thankful for the priviledge of cadaver dissection, however, if this person were alive I would probably have about 10 malpractice suits from dissecting the upper arm alone. I really am trying to be careful, but those little nerves and vessels just keep breaking.

Case-in-point: Today I was pulling on a tendon and watching the finger move (EXTENSOR INDICIS!) in order to identify the tendon and one of my group members asked me what I broke. I quickly said, "Nothing, just playing. But thanks for the vote of confidence." To which he later replied (after coming back and finding our professor explaining something), "Dr. I was totally just commenting on how bad a dissector you are." Blast. He was joking, but I'm a little too gullible at times.

It is true that "oops" comes out of my mouth maybe a little too often. Hmm, hand surgeon being checked off the list of potential careers.



** this saddens be greatly because I've wanted to be a surgeon -- ever since Grey's Anatomy started. My goal in life is to be the hot surgery intern... just kidding, but I was contemplating surgery (but mostly peds heme/onc).

No comments: