1. Blair converts to Catholicism
I find it very interesting that Blair is just now coming out about religion. Seeing as he was the PM for 10 years he had a very long time to at least mention his beliefs. And I don't honestly think that people would have taken him for a "nutter" for mentioning them. What I find more interesting is that he was practicing in the Anglican church until now. Let's look at history a bit: Anglican church breaks off of the Catholic church so that King what's his face can divorce some queen because s/he is barren. Besides the fact that in the Anglican church the king can divorce, there really isn't that much of a difference. They are both high on the liturgical scale and both believe in sacraments, rather than acts of remembrance (I'm not so sure whether the Anglicans believe in the conversion of the elements to the real flesh and blood of Christ, if you know, please pass on the wealth of information). Seeing as they are so similar it makes me wonder: 1.) What's the reasoning behind the conversion? 2.) What Tony Blair not Catholic only so he could hold office?!? Interesting nonetheless.
2. Senate stays in session over holiday to thwart Bush
Once again I marvel at the amazing American democracy. Firstly, I find it funny that opening and them immediately closing the floor counts as a session (less than one minute?!). However, I do thank all those going in over their holiday to keep the system of checks-and-balances in check. I think it's wrong for any President to wait until no one can protest to elect someone into an influential position (it's just to slinky). And honestly, if the congress is willing to open the floor through their own holiday, it makes you think that the President would re-look at their concerns... yes, I know Democratic congress, uber-Republican President, but still.... remember that they too were elected by the people, which means that they represent the people. If the people want Democratic, have some courtesy to listen. (Sorry for that sounding a little judgemental.... but I would say it to anyone doing anything like that)
3. Nun's brains may help unlock secrets of Alzheimer's
Firstly, I must say that I liked how it showed up in Google reader better "Souls go to heaven, Brains go to science". Brilliant tag line in my opinion. Now back to the article: I think what these Sisters are doing is wonderful! To make such a sacrifice (or do such a "service" as one nun put it) is amazing and I commend each one for helping to make a difference. Alzheimer's is a sad and horrifying disease as I'm sure many of you know. For that reason I'm, adding a few links and a video pertaining to Alzheimer's... after which you will find comments relating to, but not really pertaining to this article.
Alzheimer's Association
Symptoms of Alzheimer's
Prevention
Now, I must be honest and say that the reason I first clicked this article was due to a conversation I overheard at a coffee shop in Chicago (I'm not generally an eavesdropper, but they were talking really loud and about some medical things). I've been meaning to comment on this conversation, but have forgotten until now.. really it was only one line that really caught my attention, but that one line made me want to run over and speak common sense into this lady. Here's the comment, "I've donated my body to science" (said in an energetic and excited manner).
Yes, this many sound like a good thing... really?!?! If there's one thing that I kept telling myself over the last few months its that I'm never donating my body to science (or, how does my school put it... "bequeathing" my body to science/ any medical school in the nation). The reason... I saw where some of those bodies went and how they ended up... in fact, I helped in the matter. It's called GROSS ANATOMY LAB. And after a week those bodies don't look like bodies any more. After 4 months it's just gross (skull cut open, muscles flayed to exposed deeper muscles, legs cut off to get a better picture of relationships, intestines and fat everywhere). Now, that being said, I'm very thankful for my opportunity to dissect... but there were many times I could not watch what my lab mates were doing and had to walk away until the dissection was over and I could sufficiently distance myself from the fact that these were in fact still humans.
If you want to make a difference... donate your organs! Seriously, I'm totally about that! It saves lives... and lots of them! So, unless you know exactly where your body is going (and what parts)... don't rush to announce proudly that you've donated your body to science. Save lives, donate organs!
Other random things.... I saw two movies yesterday:

The first movie I saw was with my mom and it was P.S. I Love You. Good movie, but I have some warnings. First, guys: If you're girlfriend wants to see this movie, tell her to go with another girl. You will not like this movie (almost guaranteed)... it is one of the biggest chick flicks ever created (read on to see why). Secondly, women: If you're going to see this movie, go with a box of Kleenex. My mom started crying after the first 10 minutes and cried the whole time (yes, mom, I teared up too, but no tears feel until the very end). As my mom put it: It was an exhausting movie to watch -- lots of emotions and lots of energy trying not to cry in the theatre. Otherwise, there were funny parts and I would recommend it to the women out there.

Now, I wasn't planning on seeing two movies yesterday. But when my brother got home (holiday break had just commenced) and came to me with the movie listings, I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd already gone to a movie that day (I waited for my mom to say something, which she didn't). So, John and I went to see this movie. It was good. I really enjoyed it!! But it wasn't exactly what I expected... I'll leave it at that. Go see the movie. It's good.
(Please note that I never go to the movies... the only time I go to the movies is when I'm home. Firstly, because the only theatre near me has only 4 screens and costs a lot; secondly, because I have no time. Therefore, when I'm home I tend to OD on going to the movies.... and I get really bummed about all the movies I had wanted to see that are now on DVD, leading me to want to get a Netflix subscription - but again, time becomes an issue. I'll stop babbling now.)
P.S. I'm super excited for tomorrow when my best friend gets back in town (I haven't seen her since July! So, it's going to be fun!)
No comments:
Post a Comment