Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Daily Inspiration

This is an art exhibition that went up at of the Museum of Contemporary Art* earlier this year. What is so interesting is it is on the outside of the building. That means that I get to drive past it multiple times a week.

There are a few reasons that I LOVE this exhibit; First is the fact that it is a daily reassurance to me, that no matter how crappy life (or medical school) gets, it's going to be alright. Secondly, it screams DETROIT to me... Here we are in a city that is beyond economically depressed and yet this sign stands up and says to all, "Don't worry. It may seem bad right now, but it can only get better. And in the end, it will all be okay." The third reason kind of goes along with that, I love the fact that it is on the outside of a building, which although marked as the Museum of Contemporary Art, looks like almost every other building... graffiti-ed up, derelict, and on the verge of abandonment. And yet, this building is standing up and saying, "I will not be forgotten."

To me, this one piece is an amazing source of hope and inspiration not only for individuals but also to the city... It is one of the things that continues to inspire me on a daily basis.

*Not MoMA in NY... but rather the local chapter here in the D, which I have yet to actually go in (or in to the DIA for that matter)... For those of you who know me, this seems like a sin. I still dream of the days that will be spent in the Met and at the MoMA in my future. Hopefully these sins will be remedied as soon as school gets out.

P.S. For those of you interested in the details of the photo: The photo was taken on my Canon Powershot A610 (not the best, but gets the job done) a few nights ago. I then adjusted levels and antiqued it in iPhoto.

1 comment:

Heidi Renée said...

I love that photo. I wish I could see that piece in person.

I'm pretty sure I've been to the DIA for some field trip or other--but never the Museum of Contemporary Art. I've actually been to more of the Chicago museums than the ones in Detroit. Lansing, though, I've got covered. I used to rock Impression 5 all the time. Did you ever go on that course where you close your eyes and walk through with a white cane to se what it's like to be blind? I always peeked.