post examening [pohst ig-zey-muhn-ing]
-verb InformalJust to make this a little more tangible:
1. activities that take place after an exam (especially med school exams), that generally includes partying, napping, catching up on real life (i.e. laundry, dishes, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.)
2. the state of mind one is left in after finishing med school (or professional/graduate school) exams; usually consists of the inability to comprehend what is going on around you due to lack of sleep and normal social interactions; may involve incoherent conversations/ comments, blank stares, mindless wanderings, and looking like death (general zombification)
[Origin: unknown]
Definition 1: Yesterday we finished our testing week*, after the exam a few of us went to Salvation Army to get outfits for out 80s after party. We then got ready and went to the party and had fun dancing and singing along to all the 80s (and 90s) music. **
Definition 2: This morning we had the CMA leadership conference at 9 am in a city and hour away***. The craziness started when my post-examening mind thought that I was supposed to take a highway not actually in the directions. This led to us getting quite lost on the way to the meeting. Once at the meeting our post-examening minds led to the inability to actually communicate properly or really even make any progress. After this adventure I went to meet my parents for dinner, I had some time to kill so I wandered the mall; however, by this point my mind was getting worse****. I'm pretty sure I walked around the mall for almost 20 minutes just trying to find the store I wanted to go to, once arriving at the store the sales person approached me saying that I looked very confused and wondered if I needed any help*****. I looked at her and pulled the med student card and said "Yes please."
*FREE FOR ANOTHER FEW WEEKS!!!
**This meant 2 nights in a row with not nearly enough sleeping
***Please note: we were NOT hung over (none of really drank at the party), just merely tired from not getting enough sleep
****That's right a post-examening mind can get worse over time if not dealt with in a timely manner.
*****Yes, post-examening can be diagnosis even with the untrained eye; however, although the untrained eye can see the signs they may not be able to come up with the correct differential diagnosis and treatment.
P.S. The "med student card" is almost as good as the "God card". The "med student card" is the one that can be used only very selectively and hard to explain the correct usage, but when used rightly you know. Like today when looking like a zombie walking around Sephora, it was clear that I was not right, so the "med student card" was used to clarify why I looked the way I did. "I'm sorry, I'm a med student and just got through exam week... so my mental capabilities are a little low right now. I would love your help!" You know the card has been played well because instead of people looking at you like an idiot, they look at you with sympathy and are extra kind (very helpful to the post-examening mind).
P.P.S. For those of you unfamiliar with the "God card", it is typically only pulled in order to end a relationship and usually goes something like this, "Dear John, I really feel that God does not want me to be in a relationship right now. This has nothing to do with you, but rather its between God and me." Or similarly, "Bob, I think you're awesome and although I would love to pursue a relationship with you, I really don't feel that's were God is leading me." No one, girl or guy, likes the "God card" to be pulled on them but its one you cannot argue with (and you never really know if there's truth to the statement, or whether its just a cop out).
1 comment:
Haha. I've never heard of this "God card", but I'm definitely sticking it in my back pocket for future usage. Nice.
Post a Comment