But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Tomorrow I start 2nd year. That means that my life is going to be even crazier (if that's at all possible) and even busier.
This leaves me a little bittersweet... I'm sad that my summer is over, but I'm excited to see friends that have been gone for the last 10 weeks. I'm not looking forward to the nastiness that is 2nd year, but I'm excited to actually learn stuff that is completely useful.
For those of you unfamiliar with how medical school works, here's a brief paraphrase: Normal first year; Abnormal second year. What that means is that the entirety of last year was spent learning what is supposed to happen in the human body: from anatomy and physiology to biochemistry and neuroanatomy. This coming year is all about disease.... and it's going to be painful.
My roommate's mom read the following analogy somewhere and passed it on to us: First year is like taking an umbrella and sticking up your butt, it hurts and is not at all pleasant. Second year is opening that umbrella while it is still up your butt, which sounds like death to me. Third year is pulling said open umbrella out, which is when you obtain the most bodily harm. And fourth year is spent recovering from this traumatic experience. Now doesn't that just sound like peaches?! Do you not want to jump on AMCAS right now and start filling out your application for medical school?
Anyways, the umbrella opening begins tomorrow at 10am, with 5 hours of lecture.
They really don't let you get re-acclimated to school this year. And although the schedule doesn't look all that bad this week, let me remind you that it is the first week back and we all forgot how to study over the last 10 weeks. And to make matters worse let me point you to Monday, August 18th:
Yes, that's right. We have a test in 2 WEEKS! And then another one in LESS THAN 2 WEEKS! Are they frickin' serious?! How the crap and I supposed to learn something that quickly? Might I also point out the lack of study days this year! When the crap crappiness are we supposed to review when we have classes all day every day?!
I guess my coffee machine will become even more of my best friend... while it tries to trick me into thinking that lack of sleep is an effective way to be productive. Which I very well know is a lie, but nonetheless, almost necessary to believe in order to make it through the next year.
But it doesn't stop there... it goes all year and gets worse. I was looking through the calendar and there were a few weeks that I wanted to cry about by just looking at them. I'm beginning to understand why the 2nd years were the way there were last year. It makes me want to become a hermit for a year, which we all know would be very impossible for me to do.
Boo. Boo to all that the next year brings. But yay to learning interesting stuff. But mostly boo.
2 comments:
At least you have a picnic to look forward to at the end of the week!
I don't think I could ever go back to school. I was always crap at studying and procrastinated on everything.
My husband is taking online classes right now to get his bachelor's degree, while still working full time. I don't know how he does it. Well, he doesn't blog, for one thing. :)
Yikes. That umbrella metaphor was unpleasant...
I'm about to start 3 years of grad school. Theatre grad school won't make me go through nearly as many mental breakdowns as medical school, I'm certain... But my program is incredibly physical. As in, one girl lost 40 pounds in 5 months last year without changing her diet. Yeah. And we don't get weekends off... just Mondays (the joy of theatre).
I have this feeling that I'm going to be in physical pain for the better part of the next couple of years. And having to type papers analyzing the evolution of Greek Theatre in the middle of it.
Wait, why am I going back to school again?
Post a Comment