This is the pregnant man. If you have not heard the story you are living under a rock. Apparently he is pregnant again, thus reappearing in headlines and on the syndicated network talk shows.Do not get me wrong, I am all about the trany - no issues there (personally I am very straight, but I understand that some people might not feel like they are the right sex... but that gets into a lot of other issues).
That being said, let us clarify: He is still a she. When it comes to the mind, he is a he. When it comes to the outward appearance, he is a he. However, when it comes to the internal stuff: He has a uterus; All his cells are XX, not XY. He is naturally a she. Cool?
On that note, I do not really understand what the big deal about him being pregnant is, considering that we are just talking about another person with a uterus. It's not like he surgically had a uterus transplant and is now carrying a baby in a body that is naturally XY; Nope, we are still talking normal XX body doing normal XX body things.
That all being said, let us talk about the misuse of the quotation mark ("..." not '...'). Now quotation marks are generally used for a few purposes that most (albeit, not all) people get right: Titles of poems; Quoting prose or poetry, etc.
However, a third use is to offset ironic use of words (or words used with reservation or in unusual ways). That makes me think that we are misusing the quotation mark when it comes to the whole pregnant man issue.
Most sources have been using it as such: "pregnant" man.
I would like to put forth that the correct use is actually: pregnant "man."
While using the word pregnant with man is a little unusual, I think we can conclude that the "man" is acutally the more ironic word/ word used with more reservation, you know, considering the fact that it is actually a women living as a man. There is also the fact that he is in fact pregnant... not ironically pregnant or pregnant with reservation. Nope. Pregnant is pregnant.
Any other thoughts on the issue?
On that note I should go "study", and by that I mean continue staring at my over 200+drugs and 200 pages of psychiatry notes. (Tests start tomorrow, boo).
2 comments:
So funny! I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. No doubt you are my daughter.
Haha... Glad you enjoyed it. :)
Post a Comment