Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Being an adult

A few weeks back I called my mother to complain about a situation I was having surrounding doing dishes, or lack thereof on my part. I think at one point I mentioned that it was unreasonable/impossible to do them every three to four days (or any more than once a week)*. At that point my mother very calmly said something along the lines of "Katie, normal people do dishes daily, every other day at the very least." At this point I felt very foolish, as expected.

Well, today I was a real adult. Not only did I do dishes (including the ones I used after doing the dishes the first time), I took out the trash, cleaned the kitchen floors AND counters AND did laundry (which you all know is one of my least favorite things). AND still found time to watched a movie with my roommate and some friends!**

Be impressed. This does not happen often, in fact the pretest probability of all these things happening on the same day is like 2%.

The reason behind it? Post-exam. One of the few nice things about test every 2 weeks is that there's 2 nights in a row that either have nothing or next to nothing to do***.

This is what medical school makes you into, a person who has no time to be a real person****. So, here's to the day after the exam! When you finally find time to be normal.



*This would not be an issue if our stupid apartment would fix our washer, which we have been nagging them about since the beginning of July.

** The movie was 21, about a kid trying to get money for medical school. For some reason, not understood by all the medical students in the room, the kid thinks he needs to pay up front for school. HELLO, IT'S CALLED UNCLE SAM. He's very nice to poor medical students. Anyways, it's was actually a really good movie about this kid who starts counting cards in order to get money of Harvard Med. We, all those who watched it, recommend it. Go rent it or something.

***Only 16 pages of notes today, making up about 22 very full flashcards (I share some day soon).

**** Another example:
Lansing Obama Campaign Organizer: Why are you not volunteering with us?
ME: I'm a medical student.... in Detroit
LOCO: So? There's a campaign office in Detroit.
ME: I know, but I go to class for 8 hours every day.
LOCO: So?
ME: And then study for 12.
LOCO: You need to get more sleep.
ME: I know. Not likely.

No comments: