That would be ME! Why? Because I'm going to one of my favorite places this weekend with a bunch of my friends!This weekend is the regional American Academy of Pediatric (AAP) meeting, and it's on Mackinaw Island!!!! YAY!
First, a little about Mackinaw for all you non-Michiganders: First, hold out your hand (you're now looking at Michigan in miniature). Mackinaw Island is a little island located just north of your middle finger, Mackinaw City being at the tip. Mackinaw Island (and city) have quite a cool history (at least when it comes to military, both have forts and the Grand Hotel used to be used as a base camp). What's really cool about the island, though, is that there are no cars at all. Instead there are horses and little horse-drawn carriages and a whole bunch of bikes. It's awesome!

I have not been to Mackinaw since I was in high school (I think). When I was younger, and my mom had not yet retired, she coached the forensics (speaking, not dead people) team at her high school. Every spring they would have a tourney at the Grand, and I got to go with her. What was even cooler was that because she was a coach we got to stay is some of the best suits in the place! (Mackinaw is also a 7th grade trip in my school district)
But we're going back, and by we I mean the 6 of us on e-board for the Pediatric Interest Care Group at school. We got excused from our afternoon labs and are leaving at lunch to make it in time for the last ferry over to the island (it's a 5 hour drive from school)! And we're staying at an apartment, cause one of the girls has great connections (she's friends with the granddaughter of Reba, of Reba's Fudge).
Needless to say, I'm super excited for a weekend away with friends and am even happier that we'll be on Mackinaw Island. The extra benefit is the potential networking with all the different pediatricians!
1 comment:
Trivia: the city is spelled "Mackinaw", and the island is spelled "Mackinac", but they're pronounced the same.
Have a great time! I haven't been there in years. (And my team didn't go in middle school, unfortunately)
Post a Comment