...Or playing the Third Wheel.
There is a common expression that says you should "never eat where you shit". When it comes to actually doing this, I highly recommend the cliche in real life (trust me when I say we have learned something like 100 different bugs that are transmitted fecal-orally in the last 2 weeks). But, as we know, this usually refers to social settings. Put in other terms, do not get busy with/start dating the people you work with/see everyday.I have to admit that this has come rather easily for me as I seem to ward off any potential suitors but unknown magical means*. However, let me talk a little about medical school. In medical school you throw lots of down right horny young adults together where they sit in class with the same handful of people for hours on end. Then they go home and have to study... and who better to study with than a classmate, right?
The problem arises from the fact that most medical students do not have social interaction outside of other medical students. And while we are all told when we begin medical school not to date classmates, it kind of becomes incestuous quickly.
Most of last year's non-studying time was spent discussing** drama related in or around people in our class dating one another. And this year has gotten even worse -- mind you we have only been in class for 6 weeks. It seems every time I turn my head more of my friends are dating... each other.
This has lead to me being a perpetual third wheel, which honestly is getting old. It's awkward studying with friends when at any moment their significant other can/will show up. It's awkward having a friend invite you to study, only to find out it was a sympathy invite cause you are like the only single one in the bunch.
I hate having to study by myself, I much rather study with friends. However, if the romantic alignments continue to surface through the year, as I am assuming they will***, then I might have to give in and be a complete recluse. Hmm.
It also makes lunch rather awkward, but that's a whole other story.
The sad thing is that I miss my friends. And while I understand that there is some one more important/interesting in their lives, I wish that they would still make time for friends without the involvement of their significant others.
* However, I think it's cause I'm kind of a bitch.
**And of course by discussing I do means gossiping. And to add more honesty, outside of the material we are studying, it's the only thing we ever know how to talk about with people, cause we are all socially awkward.
*** Fraught with all the drama that comes with them and the awkwardness that ensues after they end.
1 comment:
I am so with you, girl.
Post a Comment