Friday, June 6, 2008

Book Review #2

The summer is the time when I can finally read all those books I've been meaning to read, or at least spend a great deal of time reading. I think it's one of my favorite things about the summer. So, look for more book reviews as the summer goes on (I only have 2 more on my self that I haven't cracked, so I'm going to have to make a stop to find some more). On to the review.

Book #3: Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer

I finished this book about 2 days ago and have to say that I enjoyed it. The writing is very fluid and the story moves quickly. I read a few reviews before actually picking it up and a few people mentioned getting angry at the main character: Chris McCandless/Alex Supertramp. I can see why, but at the same time, I cannot fault him. He wanted to live at the edge and he had done so successfully for over 2 years before heading into the Alaskan interior. Granted, he was a little stupid for not taking maps and not having any backup plan.... but still.

The author did a wonderful job or portraying the story of the boy, with a fair amount of bias, but still laying out everything that transpired.

Grade: A, a recommended read.

Although I cannot review it yet, I'm about half way through Better by Atul Gawande and enjoying it... More to come soon.

In other news:
My brother's graduation openhouse is this weekend... My jobs as of last weekend include making cotton candy for all the critters and guarding the keg from the underagers. Sounds delightful and makes me out to be both good cop and bad cop at the same time. Interesting.

Also, my orchestra conductor from HS is retiring after 40+ years. So there's a huge party with people from all over the world coming. I'm looking forward to it, but it should be kinda sad. She's amazing and it's hard to imagine the program without her at the helm.

No comments: