Monday, June 23, 2008

Book Review #3

Book #4: Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance, Atul GawandeI finally finished the book, the finishing was delayed by the start of my externship.... which shouldn't really be an excuse but I'm using it anyways.

I really enjoyed Gawande's first book (Complications) so I was expecting this one to be good as well. However, I was a little concerned when my friend started reading it (while I was reading How Doctors Think/ Into the Wild) and mentioned that it was hard to get through. Needless to say, I found it an easy read. Gawande's style is fluid and fast. He makes so many good points through his observations. The stories and research that went behind it are amazing. All in all, I recommend this book (can you tell that I recommend most books? maybe I'm too easy to please... hmm).

Grade: A

What's next? Many have mentioned to me that I MUST read House of God by Samuel Shem. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it is "The Classic Novel of Life and Death in an American Hospital" (according to the cover). For a little more, I'll add some of the stuff from the back: "...a mesmerizing and provocative journey that takes us into the lives of Roy Basch and five fellow interns at the most renowned teaching hospital in the country."

So that's what's next.... if anyone is interested in reading it along with me, email me! We'll start a book club.

Heads up on what's coming next: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, See and Under the Banner of Heaven, Krakauer (both books given to me by my wonderful mother)

1 comment:

freeandflawed said...

I'm reading his first book right now. the first couple chapters are kind of hard to get through. It's not pulling me in like I thought it would.