Last year at orientation on the city tour one of the tour guides mentioned that the city was trying to add "green space". Specifically, he told us about a project to connect the Riverfront to the Farmers Market. Here's a little map to help you out (c/o Google Maps and my awesome Mac skillz):
**CLICK TO ENLARGE**
Basically the important things are the Riverfront Walk (in green, bottom right), the Farmer's Market (in purple, top right), and the red line connecting them... which will one day be an awesome walk.
**CLICK TO ENLARGE**
Now, when the walk way was mentioned I got all super excited because I can see it from my apartment (like directly below it)... and I love both the Riverfront and the Farmer's Market! When I mentioned it to others they were a little cautious... mentioning of course that the city is not that safe. Let me illuminate you a little on the walk: Where it is located is not that bad of an area (the bad areas are a little more north), we are close to the financial/ business district which is nicer. Also, the walk will supposedly have lights and security cameras (but I'm not stupid and will not be walking it at night or alone -- but run or bike it alone in broad daylight, but that's about it).
Fast forward a few months: Ridiculous amounts of jack hammering at 7 am. After the jack hammering was complete there seemed to be no change for many months (even though there were people in trucks there every day). A few months ago some pipe concrete pipe things appeared. And then nothing. A few days ago there finally seemed to be some progress: A ramp was made and some vegetation put in.
And then this morning when I looked down I saw what looked like a finished pathway just awaiting some cement.
Behold... I give you PROGRESS!

It's hard to see.... but it's there. A real pathway! There is some shubbery in between the "Y" and more has been added along the sides. Finally, a year later we have something to grasp onto. Hopefully it will continue to move quickly through the rest of the summer. I'm not so optimistic on it being done by fall, but maybe by next spring.
Who would of thought adding a walkway would be so time consuming?!
No comments:
Post a Comment