Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Black Bean and Corn Quesadilla

Remember my NY Resolutions? One of them was to make a new dish each week; I started this week! I had to run to Meijers to get binders/ food (since I had none in the apartment). While on the way I realized I had forgotten to look up a recipe... so I did it on my iPhone (God, I love that thing). And this came up:


Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
2 tbs. finely chopped onion
1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (10 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ cup salsa
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons butter, divided
8 (8 in) flour tortillas
1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided



Directions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Stir in onion, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in beans and corn, then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well.
4. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
5. Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
6. Place a tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle evenly with cheese, then top with some of the bean mixture.
7. Place another tortilla on top, cook until golden, then flip and cook on the other side.
8. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
Recipe and images taken from AllRecipes.com

Can I just say it was yummy! I added the extra bean/corn mix to rice and brought it for lunch the next day.

P.S. I'm on a roll, I actually cooked veggie-meat with Taco seasoning and made tacos on my own tonight (this is a first... usually I make nachos, and I'm lucky if I just heat up some refried beans from a can)

No comments: