
Ingredients
1 lb penne pasta
Coarse salt
1/4 cup EVOO
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
(8-10 anchovy fillets)
1/2 cup cracked, pitted, good-quality black olives, coarsely chopped
3-4 tbs capers, drained and coarsely chopped
1 14-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 lb shrimp, tails removed
2 handfuls flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Directions
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Add penne pasta and salt.
- In a large, heat a deep skillet over medium heat.
- And EVOO, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes (and anchovies).
- (Break up fish with back of wooden spoon, until they melt.)
- Add olives, capers, and tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to a bubble and add shrimp (scatter in one layer).
- Cover pan to cook shrimp 3-4 minutes (or until they turn pink, opaque, and firm).
- Uncover the pan and add the parsley.
- Toss and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Add sauce to drained pasta - toss and serve.
This is super yummy... It's not a true puttanesca because I could not bring myself to add anchovies. but that doesn't make it any less delicious.
I was planning on making it earlier in the week, but there was a test and no time to grab the ingredients. So I finally made it last night for some friends and served it with Relax white wine (a great riesling that is big within my circle of friends... probably cause it doesn't cost that much but is still yummy).
We followed up dinner by going to see Bride Wars, which was cute... although besides a twist at the end, most of the movie is given away in the trailers.
Speaking of wine... Off to celebrate my friend's birthday at a wine bar out in the 'burbs. Ya!
*Picture by: Teardrop.
3 comments:
anchovies do nothing but add an extreme salty taste. It's not as bad as you think it would be. You should try it next time.
hmmmmm I must try that, well I'm just letting you know that I found your blog about 3 weeks ago and I went back and read all of your post and finally I caught up! So now I'm commenting :D
Anyways I'm a pre-med student so your blog has been a great read for me, keep up the great work!
P.S if anyone wants to check out my blog feel free too :P
Looks like a good recipe. I'm a medical student as well, you're welcome to check out my blog sometime.
Post a Comment